Fast, sharp, lightweight, compact, and breathtaking imagery that is truly unmatched with the SIGMA Art series.
The brand new SIGMA 85mm F1.4 DG DN | Art lens is redefining the classic. Paired with the Sony mirrorless platform, this is a beautiful match made in heaven for both in-studio and on-location portraiture.
Photographing portraits wide open at f/1.4 allows you to really hone in on your subjects eyes while the rest of the details fall out of focus creating a soft and romantic feel to your images. Add a little bit of motion and some eye candy in the foreground, and you’ll end up with beautiful bokeh and a final portrait that evokes emotion and really tells a story.
Our favorite features include:
- Completely new optical formula with 5 SLD and 1 Aspherical element
- Fast-aperture prime lens that is surprisingly compact
- Dust and Splash-proof construction
- Stepping motor optimized for contrast and phase detection autofocus
- Clicked and de-clicked aperture ring with Iris Ring Lock Switch
- Astounding resolution and large bokeh effects
- A full range of functionalities and excellent build quality
- Designed to minimize flare and ghosting
- MAP: $1199
As “DN” in the name indicates, the Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG DN | Art lens is a completely new design for full-frame mirrorless cameras. Offered in L-Mount and Sony E-Mount, this lens features a completely new optical formula that includes five Special Low Dispersion Elements and one aspherical element for exceptional edge-to-edge image sharpness. This new design also thoroughly corrects aberrations, resulting in visually pleasing images with no color bleed, even at maximum aperture. Plus, the 11-blade rounded diaphragm ensures pleasing bokeh.
The stepping motor is paired with a smaller focusing lens, which are optimized for both phase detection and contrast detection autofocus, allows for this lens to be notably smaller than the 85mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens — over an inch shorter and more than a pound lighter* — while achieving a higher degree of edge-to-edge sharpness.
Briefly put, the Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG DN | Art pairs large-aperture, professional-caliber optical performance with a lightweight and compact body, a combination which has long been difficult to achieve. This vision is finally realized with the new 85mm F1.4 DG DN | Art lens.
The Sigma Art line has been consistently redefining both imaging excellence and pleasing in-the-hand experience, and this new lens continues that legacy. Dust and splash-proof design, aluminum and TSC (Thermally Stable Composite) construction, a brass bayonet, plus well-damped switches and rings demonstrate the level of build quality that the Art name represents. Additional benefits include an aperture ring that allows for clicked and de-clicked operation, a programmable AFL button on the lens barrel, and a new Iris Ring Lock Switch that prevents unintended movement of the aperture ring during image capture.
This combination of imaging characteristics, build quality, and compact size for its focal length and aperture combine to make this the defining portrait lens for full-frame mirrorless camera systems.
Additional Features and Product Information:
- Lens construction: 15 elements in 11 groups, with 5 SLDs and 1 aspherical lens
- Compatible with high-speed autofocus
- Compatible with lens-based optical correction**
- ** Only on camera models that support this functionality. Scope of correction varies depending on model.
- Iris ring
- Iris ring click switch
- Iris ring lock switch
- NOTE: When turned ON at the position A, the aperture ring is locked at A. When turned ON at a position other than A, it is locked within the range between the maximum to minimum apertures and will not engage at the position A.
- AFL button
- Focus mode switch
- Dust-and splash-proof
- Hood with lock
- Compatible with SIGMA USB DOCK UD-11 (sold separately / for L-Mount only)
- Designed to minimize flare and ghosting
- Every single lens undergoes SIGMA’s proprietary MTF measuring system “A1”
- 11-blade rounded diaphragm
- High-precision, durable brass bayonet mount
- “Made in Japan” craftsmanship
Also In the Box:
- Supplied accessories: Case, Petal Type Hood with Lock (LH828-02)
- Available mounts: L-Mount, Sony E-Mount
- The figures below are for L-mount.
- Lens construction: 15 groups, 11 elements (5 SLDs and 1 aspherical lens)
- Angle of view: 28.6°
- Number of diaphragm blades: 11 (rounded diaphragm)
- Minimum aperture: F16
- Minimum focusing distance: 33.5 in. (85cm)
- Maximum magnification ratio: 1:8.4
- Filter size: 77mm
- Maximum dimensions (diameter x length): 3.3 x 3.7 in. (82.8 x 94.1mm)
- Weight: 22.2 oz. (630g)
* The 85mm F1.4 DG DN | Art weighs 630g (approx. 1.4 pounds), with a filter size of 77mm and a body length of 94.1mm (3.7 inches). The 85mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art lens (DSLR version) weighs 2.5 pounds, with an 86mm filter size and is approximately five inches long. (L-Mount specifications given)
** Especially for E-mount, please turn on various optical corrections when shooting. Although this is not to a degree that is not a problem in practical use, distortion and vignetting may be noticeable depending on the subject without these settings applied in-camera.